+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor - Adam display might not support Honeycomb?

Senior Member Rambler358 is on a distinguished road Rambler358's Avatar

Question Rumor - Adam display might not support Honeycomb?

According to PC Magazine, Honeycomb will require a powerful processor and screen. Though Adam has the requisite Tegra 2 processor, PC Mag says:
    A 1,280x720 screen resolution may also be necessary, although Cha affirmed that "Honeycomb does not require 10-inch [screens] ... it's going to go as small as 7 inch."
    The Adam has a 1024x600 display. Thoughts?

Junior Member th3cyb3rguy is on a distinguished road
    This could be true as most manufacturers are launching their next gen android device like Toshiba 'unnamed' tablet, eLocity A10.x, Acer, etc. with high res display of 1280x800 res even with their 7" display devices.
    But then what about all those smart phones having a tiny 4" screen, wouldn't it be a quite huge PPI for them to manufacture for Honeycomb. I don't think Google is going to release different versions of android for tablets and smart phones separately.
    Lets see.....
    Last edited by th3cyb3rguy; January-03-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Senior Member Rambler358 is on a distinguished road Rambler358's Avatar
    Well speaking for myself alone, this could definately be a deal-breaker, if true. As much as like the PQ display for eBook reading outdoors in daylight, I really wanted a tablet that would support Honeycomb. NI mentioned that Honeycomb would be coming for the Adam, but now I have to wonder if that's true. Hopefully some more light will be shed on this at CES.

Quote Originally Posted by th3cyb3rguy View Post
    But then what about all those smart phones having a tiny 4" screen, wouldn't it be a quite huge PPI for them to manufacture for Honeycomb.
    I don't think Honeycomb was intended for smaller phone devices, but I could be wrong.

Ok, a thought that might make this PC Mag article BS. Google's Nexus S phone has a 800x400 display and will run Honeycomb. Based on that, I don't think screen resolution will play a factor in determining Honeycomb compatibility.
    Last edited by ownad; January-03-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: triple-post merged into a single post ;)

Senior Member Knoc is on a distinguished road Knoc's Avatar
    To the Google to confirm.
    I'm hoping this is just an unconfirmed article from them.
    Ideally I'd like to have Eden and Honeycomb.
    |Underground Inventive, Overground Effective|
    NI Community Wiki

Senior Member killer2021 is on a distinguished road
    Sounds like BS if you ask me.

Senior Member Figurelli is on a distinguished road
    It's probably just like when everyone was reporting that Gingerbread required a 1ghz processor. It's likely just a recommendation, not a requirement.

Unhappy No way.... This can't be true

The rumor seems to be quite true.
    This is from Engadget
    PC Magazine's Sascha Segan is confidently citing the director of Enspert, a Korean consumer electronics company (which recently announced its own Android tablet), who claims that Honeycomb will require a dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor. He's also confident that Motorola's tablet will be the first device to market with the new version of Android, and his other minimum specs line up with the idea of Honeycomb being initially a tablet-only release. Apparently 1280 x 720 is going to be the minimum resolution, with screen sizes "as small as" 7-inches, though it sounds like 10-inches could be the default. These specs seem to clearly leave out Galaxy Tab, along with anything else on the market or soon to arrive that doesn't have a Tegra 2 chip. It also makes sense that the Galaxy Tab 2 is going to be using Tegra 2 -- Samsung clearly won't be deterred.

And how about phones for Honeycomb? The picture is decidedly murkier, other than the fact that we could see a temporary splintering of the platform while tablets show off their new Honeycomb digs, with enough battery to back up that dual-core proc. Of course, dual-core handsets are right around the corner, so we doubt handsets will be without Honeycomb for long -- Google should know which side its bread is buttered on. There's also the possibility that this Enspert source is only talking tablets, and phones (which are required to push way fewer pixels, and have much stricter battery requirements) will get a pass on the dual-core requirement altogether. No matter what, you should settle in for a year of entertainment as Google continues to iterate its wildly successful operating system, and manufacturers strain to keep up.
    At least for tablets it is.

Administrator ownad has disabled reputation ownad's Avatar
    Interesting read. As you mentioned, this is just a rumor, and until Google releases the Official minimum & recommended requirements for Android 3.0 Honeycomb, this should be taken for what it is - simply a rumor.

Senior Member Figurelli is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by th3cyb3rguy View Post
    The rumor seems to be quite true.
    This is from Engadget

At least for tablets it is.
    ZOMG ENGADGET REPORTED SOME RANDOM QUOTE FROM SOMEWHERE, IT MUST BE TRUE!

As ownad said, "this is just a rumor, and until Google releases the Official minimum & recommended requirements".

Quote Originally Posted by Figurelli View Post
    ZOMG ENGADGET REPORTED SOME RANDOM QUOTE FROM SOMEWHERE, IT MUST BE TRUE!

As ownad said, "this is just a rumor, and until Google releases the Official minimum & recommended requirements".
    Those were just my views in accordance to the conference Dive into mobile where Andy Rubin said that Google is taking a little bit of an Apple approach with their developing of Honeycomb, where they pick certain partners and develop the OS to be based around one flagship device.
    “What we do is pick our partners, a semiconductor partner, an operator, and an OEM and then combine them all together. This is the device that engineers have on their desk when they come in the morning.”
    So the UI and other Honeycomb Applications might be built for the same resolution as that of the flagship device. Plus the tablets(as i mentioned in my previous post) that are being launched after adam and are being said to run Honeycomb have almost the same specs with which Google's engineers are working on.

For example: eLocity A10s With a confirmed press release
    Last edited by th3cyb3rguy; January-03-2011 at 09:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread