+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Engadget Official Review of Notion Ink Adam

Administrator ownad has disabled reputation ownad's Avatar

Engadget Official Review of Notion Ink Adam

It's been almost four months after Engadget's initial hands-on with the Notion Ink Adam and interview with Rohan Shravan (Notion Ink CEO) at the Consumer Electronics Show 2011 in Las Vegas, Nevada back in January. Engadget did not post an official review of the Notion Ink Adam, that is, until this afternoon.

While Engadget was critical (though their fairness is questionable), they did point out many of the wonderful features and advantages the Notion Ink Adam has over the competitors.
    For those who do not wish to read the full review or are in a hurry, below is what Engadget wrapped up the review with.

Notion Ink truly did come up with a number of fantastic ideas for the Adam tablet. They do show. But so little of their light shines through the muck of buggy software and touchy hardware that we're afraid even the best of them will be completely dismissed and ignored. If Notion Ink had delivered on its promises of a miniature touchscreen office where full Android apps run side by side in perfect harmony and multitask with ease, we'd award it high marks -- all current tablets claim to enable productivity, but most settle to be simple entertainment consoles. Even Google's Honeycomb OS still struggles to find a way to unify the worlds of tablet and phone, and Notion Ink's prototype shows a way it could be done.

Features like USB host functionality, a desktop-class web browser, a sunlight-readable screen and a multitask-friendly interface aren't just value-add bullet points that justify a higher price -- they're the difference between a tablet that can augment an existing computer, and one that can replace it altogether and thrust users into a new paradigm. We're sad to see the Adam couldn't make it happen, but there's still an opportunity for other manufacturers to take up the torch.
    To read the full Engadget review of the Notion Ink Adam, click here.

Be sure to share your thoughts about Engadget's review here and let us know what you think of the review!

Senior Member saied is on a distinguished road

engadget review

so engadget finally did a review on the adam. check it out
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/27/n...k-adam-review/

Senior Member MATrickett is on a distinguished road
    I think that it was pretty clear that they were destined not to like it, but running stock it's not entirely unfair. That there are some issues with the Adam are clear. Indeed, in talking with an iPad fan today my beefs could be summarised as:
    • Stock isn't too hot and experience improves with a ROM... I've heard people say. iPad user was impressed with the idea that you could just load on another ROM without having to jailbreak.
    • Android OS just doesn't have the rock-solid mature feel that the iPad has. On the other hand, Apple user was impressed with widgets that could be interacted with and was frustrated by the fact that everything works in full screen with the iPad (I'm not sure if he has the iPaid1 or 1.5--yes, deliberate spelling and numbering ).
    • Battery life is not as originally claimed. It seems that I get 8-10 hours with WiFi, but I always tend to keep the screen on low brightness (though not on PQi) most of the time. Really must run some experiments when I get to the beach. Apple user agreed that this did indeed suck, but it seems to be a problem that is not limited to the Adam. iPhone battery is so much better than, say, the Samsung Fascinate and it has been argued that this is in part due to the software.
    • Software is buggy. As an example, we tried editing a photo in Canvas and the thing just kept FC'ing.
    • Wireless. It all-but-disappeared in moving the handful of feet into the office from the hallway and even then we weren't too far from the transmitter (a few walls).

On the other hand, the form factor was a bonus. They reported that the iPaid was just "slippery" and so required a case to put some meat on the 'ole bones. Similarly, the USB 'ports were an advantage, and the PQi was fantastic.

Thus, we were in agreement: he has a lover of i-things, and on my behalf as someone that isn't really sold on the mentality behind i-devices (though certainly not rabid). The iPad is great, with a beautiful screen and rock-solid software. There are some issues (the woeful Flash situation), how the iOS works (i.e. it works great as long as you want to work how the designers think that you should be working), but overall it's a quality build with some good software that mostly works (stupid email software). On the other hand, Adam had a better form-factor (despite the bezel) and the open nature of ports and software was good, even if the software isn't there yet. Perhaps not surprising given that people seem to have a knee-jerk reaction to develop on the i-gadget first. We could both see the potential of the Adam, but it's not quite there yet. The Apple user also became very excited about the Reasonspace app.

Worth 3/10? I'm not sure that I would agree with that assessment, especially on stock (or so I've heard ). Unless, of course, the iPaid got a 4/10.
    Adam: PixelQi LCD, Wifi + 3G (Ordered Feb-9, 2011; Delivered Mar-30, 2011)
    ROM: Beast 2.1.3
    Apps: Too many. I love Market and Amazon...
    Screen Protector: Oh how I love thee...

Junior Member senorerik is on a distinguished road
    That was a horribly written review. Look at those cons!

The Bad:
    Software is beta at best
    Broken promises
    Unrealised dreams

Real professional there.

Senior Member saied is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by senorerik View Post
    That was a horribly written review. Look at those cons!

The Bad:
    Software is beta at best
    Broken promises
    Unrealised dreams

Real professional there.
    u being sarcastic?

The "unrealised dreams" was very obnoxious of engadget to put, but they do make many good points. Eden is an amazing concept, but has been poorly implemented, and it is true that, very few of the promises have been delivered.

Senior Member banshee1971 is on a distinguished road
    It worth the 3/10 ...
    because of "Broken Promises" and "Unrealised dreams"

For the rest, they give good review about the hardware... but when you can't deliver... lot of broken promises... diseaper for a long period of time without answer any e-mail regarding PO's ... It's not helping to have something near 5/10.

SOny, by example, create their "Clie" that was a competitor of the Palm device... and their "Clié", were impressive under sunlight... color was incredable... like a PQI screen. But they feel they don't sell enough in America, so they stop sending unit there, and only sell to Japan and China.

Result : 1/10 .... because no support anymore.

NI don't offer good support to people who purchase their tablet and having hardware issue... same thing for PO's who waiting for their tablet... don't answer to e-mail... sometime wait 1-2 week before made announcement.

So 3/10 are probably too much there, if we talk about support from them.

If we forget NI... and assume support are made by this Forums, and all creator of Custom Rom... this score will jump to 7/10

Member datnhong is on a distinguished road datnhong's Avatar
    Engadge didn't mention anything about the support, otherwise it would be 1/10.
    LCD + Wifi variant -- Ordered Dev 9th -- Shipped Feb 14th -- RECEIVED 02/24/2011. ADAM viewing angle suck!!!
    Screen broken but still usable, but I got lucky, I got the full purchase amount back from AMEX Card.

Senior Member MATrickett is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by banshee1971 View Post
    It worth the 3/10 ...
    because of "Broken Promises" and "Unrealised dreams"
    I think that's a horrible justification for a lower rating. Either they need to provide an expanded rating system or they need to consider the device on the standalone basis--customer support shouldn't really get a look in, except perhaps as a "Buyer Be Aware" situation.

This is not to say that the Adam is without problems. It's pretty hard to own one and not realise this. On the other hand one has to wonder at the reader demographics that the review is pitched at. Whenever I see these things I get an "wealthy toy buyer" vibe from them. That's horrendously biased, of course, since I get that impression when anyone whines about the viewing angles. It just makes me go, "Ah, you wanted an expensive toy."

Edit: And I just read the scorecard. The fact that they use that terminology does tend to put into question the objectivity of the review. Or, rather, the grade. Seems like they were having a "waaah waaah" moment.
    Last edited by MATrickett; April-27-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    Adam: PixelQi LCD, Wifi + 3G (Ordered Feb-9, 2011; Delivered Mar-30, 2011)
    ROM: Beast 2.1.3
    Apps: Too many. I love Market and Amazon...
    Screen Protector: Oh how I love thee...

Super Moderator Levon is on a distinguished road Levon's Avatar
    I wish they mentioned the price, but whatever. I am glad they did a review of the Notion Ink tablet.

+ Reply to Thread