+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with APN settings and factory reset

Junior Member bridie is on a distinguished road

Unhappy Help with APN settings and factory reset

I'm having trouble connecting to my Adam to 3G network in Australia, I have input what expected of my mobile provider in the APN settings section but no luck.

Would be great if anyone can share tips on connecting Adam to Mobile Networks.

As a last resort was thinking to do a factory reset, and try again from the start. Could somebody please link me an existing page the explains how to perform a factory reset please.

Thanks for your help

Senior Member bigwhitebear18 is on a distinguished road bigwhitebear18's Avatar
    There's quite a few questions there so for starters I'll ask you to state which network you are trying to connect to, that way someone can help you with the APN settings.
    For Factory Reset (aka unbrick method) follow the directions on Notion Ink Hacks and then run the OTA update.

There's also the tip for connecting to 3G:
    hvenky: 7. 3G: If you constantly get "Cannot find Network" when you insert a sim, don't fret. Simple power Adam off and the power it back on with the Sim in. Adam will now recognise your carrier. Check AccessPointSettings from your carrier or on your phone if it is the same sim, add the details and you can use GPRS/HSDPA or 3G.

Thanks for the speedy reply bigwhitebear18

I am in Australia and trying to connect to Virgin Mobile Australia - using a SIM provisioned for the APN VirginBroadband. This actually connects via the Optus Network but has its own APN.

I have spoken to VMA's expert on APNs and was advised to use:
    APN - virginbroadband
    Authentication type - PAP

Everything else I should leave blank ie. username and password.

Any pointers please?

Junior Member Andydroid is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bridie View Post
    Thanks for the speedy reply bigwhitebear18

I am in Australia and trying to connect to Virgin Mobile Australia - using a SIM provisioned for the APN VirginBroadband. This actually connects via the Optus Network but has its own APN.

I have spoken to VMA's expert on APNs and was advised to use:
    APN - virginbroadband
    Authentication type - PAP

Everything else I should leave blank ie. username and password.

Any pointers please?
    Did you have any luck? I'm having the same difficulty getting on the VirginBroadband network. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I can log on using a USB modem from my laptop but when I slot the card into the Adam, nothing. Well, it finds the Virgin Mobile network but doesn't show 3G sign. I've fiddled around with the APN - using VirginBroadband. And ensuring authentication is PAP but nothing else works. Be great if you or anyone else has any tips.

Oddly a Three sim that was used in the USB modem works just fine when you slot it into the Adam. I wanted the Virgin mobile sim as it has greater coverage.

Any suggestions welcome!
    Type of Adam: PixelQi + Wifi + 3G + 900/2100 MHz Country: Australia
    Order Date: 14/2/2011 Last email received date: 11/3/2011
    Latest status: 04/04/2011 Delivered!

no luck unfortunately. Have tried everything but can't get it working.

Can see from the coverage indicator / bars in top right that it's picking up network signal but something in the APN configuration isn't allowing connection to the network.

Few days off for the long weekend so will keep trying

Please, if anybody can assist would be greatly appreciated

Still working on this without any luck. I've tried a couple of other ROMs but nothing is working. Staff at Virgin recommended getting settings from manufacturer but that's not much help! Will keep messing about with it over the next few days but any suggestions welcomed!

Junior Member hamirpur123 is on a distinguished road
    This is what i have from NI. I was having issues with Telstra but after applying this update its much smoother and 3G is always available.. Settings for vodafone can be googled or asked for from their support. I have also tried optus and it also works fine.... Good Luck.

You may download and install the FLASH update in the Adam.

Please ensure to wipe the user data before installing the update.
    NOTE: Please ensure to backup the data before wiping.

Please follow the below steps to Wipe/RESET the User Data:
    1.First, please turn OFF the Adam and wait till it is turned OFF completely.
    2.Next, while holding down the Volume + button, slide down the Power switch and wait for the Adam to turn ON.
    3.The Adam will turn ON and will go in the Recovery Mode.
    4.Then,navigate to the Wipe Data/Factory Reset option using the Volume button and select it by touching the Option button (above the Back button; third from top).
    5.Now,please navigate to YES and touch the Option button (above the Back button; third from top) to select it. The Adam will start wiping the data and return to the previous menu when finished.
    6.Finally,select the “Reboot System Now” option by touching the Option button again.

Now, please follow the below mentioned steps to install the update.

Please note that the below update requires Adam to be connected via mini USB cable to a Computer running Windows/Linux.

Please click on the appropriate link provided below to download the update file:

http://notionink.com/windows/flash_3gPQ-W.zip For Pixel Qi WiFi 3G NIP920080411

Please follow the steps mentioned in the manual, to install the USB drivers for Windows.
    In order to update your Adam, you would have to follow a few simple steps detailed in the manual. You can download the manual here.
    All the necessary information required to update your Adam are present in these files.
    Finally, check if the Build Number under SETTINGS>>ABOUT ADAM is the one mentioned besides the update link above. This will verify that the update has been installed successfully.

Thanks for the suggestion hamipur but sadly, this hasn't worked. I'm beginning to think that this is a particular problem with this SIM card from Virgin. I haven't had this problem with another Virgin SIM card in an android phone - but that isn't a Virgin Broadband card. The 3 mobile broadband card works just fine, and Virgin won't provide any assistance. I think the issue is that the SIM cards are not designed for the type of internal modem that's in the Adam - the Virgin Broadband network wants all devices to have a dial in of #99* and there is simply nowhere to configure this. The 3 sim uses the same system, but something in their network configuration allows the SIM card to be used on the network without the dial in.

Virgin won't admit to this problem and will blame it on the device manufacturer so I think I'm stuck. I can't be bothered going through all of this with their customer help so I think I'll stick with the 3 card even though the coverage is not as good. Anyway, there was no contract on the Virgin card so I'm not out by much. It's just a bit disappointing.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd welcome them but the above is the only explanation my limited knowledge of such things can fathom! Now to re-install the Beast ROM all over again!

Junior Member ptitom4 is on a distinguished road
    I had similar problem with orange-entreprise in France.
    The support said to put 'PAP' but in fact it only worked when i put nothing in that field.
    so try to put nothing but :
    - apn
    - user
    - pasword
    Adam PQi Wifi + 3g
    Ordered 10th feb
    Received 4th april

Having the same problem. Also with a virginmobile sim in australia.

+ Reply to Thread