+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Adam or Asus EEE Pad Transformer?

Senior Member jimbob1971 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by banshee1971 View Post
    Do we have a good competitor the Adam ?
    It depends on what you are after:-

The connectivity of the ASUS (tablet) is poor compared to the ADAM. With the keyboard attached it is a bit better, but still not as good as ADAM.

The screen and resolution on the ASUS blows the ADAM's PQi away indoors, but obviously suffers outdoors like all screens. If you work indoors, ASUS is a no brainer. If you go out a reasonable amount then the ADAM PQi might be better. (I can't comment on the LCD variant of the ADAM not having seen one)

Battery life is better on the ASUS. Add the keyboard and the battery life almost doubles again!

ADAM has 3g capability currently. I'm not sure when the ASUS will get that. However, I can tether using my phone.

The ASUS is much lighter/thinner than the ADAM, but the ADAM feels sturdier. (Don't get me wrong, the ASUS is well built, just not quite to the same industrial standard!)

ASUS is honeycomb out of the box. Not really a big issue if NI release honeycomb for the ADAM eventually.

I really liked the ADAM, but the form factor and keyboard facility of the ASUS convinced me to keep it and sell my ADAM and iPad. I may pick up the ADAM again in a few months time when things have settled down.
    Last edited by jimbob1971; April-18-2011 at 06:03 AM.
    Pixel Qi + 3G. Ordered 11th Feb. Charged 22nd Feb. Received tracking 29th March. 2nd April Adam arrived. 18th April Sold Adam. Sad to see it go, but I wouldn't use the PQi screen enough to justify it.

Member Vissen is on a distinguished road
    Thank you for your insightful review and comparison, jimbob1971. Having missed the chances to order an Adam at PO1 (no Mastercard accepted) and PO2 (LCD version already sold out when I received the invitation) I could re-evaluate my specific needs for a tablet and what I would like most.

While the Transformer is not as sturdy as the Adam and doesn't have all the connectivity that the Adam sports, it has some definite benefits over the Adam, with the excellent IPS screen, higher resolution, Honeycomb and solid Asus support. An LCD Adam including postage and taxes would cost me around 380 Euro, while the Transformer 16GB will cost me 399 Euro. Just waiting till it becomes available here in The Netherlands.

I seriously believe the only reason why someone would still prefer an Adam would have to be because of the PixelQi screen. Who knows, in some years from now, that technology may mature enough to combine IPS quality transflective crispness with true e-ink quality reflective screens. We'll wait and see...

Senior Member MATrickett is on a distinguished road
    Well, the PQI screen is the "big thing" for me, but I also prefer the form factor over the numerous Android i-clones that are out there. Yes, I'm looking at the Transformer tablet (but addition of keyboard is a great idea!), the Xoom, the Iconia, etc. I wonder if we're going to get to the point where the "work tablets" begin to fork away from the current "toy" form factor? Diverging away from the Jobs mentality will be a sharp move forwards, taking us away from how Jobs thinks that we should use tablets ("Hey, it's like a newspaper") to how they might actually be used by professionals.

Well, that or a modular "toy" design that plugs into a "skin/skeleton" that takes it's abilities beyond the toy.

Who knows, perhaps in a few years the tablet will truly evolve beyond the toy and catch up with the professional concepts?

Adam: PixelQi LCD, Wifi + 3G (Ordered Feb-9, 2011; Delivered Mar-30, 2011)
    ROM: Beast 2.1.3
    Apps: Too many. I love Market and Amazon...
    Screen Protector: Oh how I love thee...

Senior Member crazy4adam is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by MATrickett View Post
    Yes, I'm looking at the Transformer tablet (but addition of keyboard is a great idea!), the Xoom, the Iconia, etc.
    Now you are talking my friend

Junior Member Newtybar is on a distinguished road
    Getting a hold of an Asus Transformer has been nearly as bad as trying to get an Adam!

I'm about to burst and go on a rampage.

Junior Member masands is on a distinguished road

Red face

Ah so after many months of discussing and speculating I got the Acer Iconia A500 for 400 bucks AUD. Totally worth it IMHO. Ummm as for the Adam....is it still alive? Sorry I have not been to this forum for ages.

Senior Member MATrickett is on a distinguished road
    Yes, it's still alive. Many might consider it to have a slight limp, while for some very vocal people it is practically the Typhoid Mary of tablets.

Ditto on being able to get your hands on the Transformer or even the iPad.
    Adam: PixelQi LCD, Wifi + 3G (Ordered Feb-9, 2011; Delivered Mar-30, 2011)
    ROM: Beast 2.1.3
    Apps: Too many. I love Market and Amazon...
    Screen Protector: Oh how I love thee...

+ Reply to Thread