+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: the battery

Junior Member buchee is on a distinguished road
    happy1, I don't think it is a good idea to frequently discharge your battery to 0%. I don't own an adam yet but what ive been told is it is a 3 cell lithium-ion battery...someone correct me if i am wrong.....If one of the cells becomes discharged below 2.4 volts you stand a greater chance of damaging the cells and not being able to put a full charge back into the cell. The more this happens the more unbalanced the cells become and over a short period of time your battery doesnt hold a charge. Do a google search "should i fully discharge my laptop lithium ion battery"....lots of info.....good luck on your battery woes

Senior Member tmckenn2 is on a distinguished road
    happy1, lets just agree that your unit is defective and can you please stop posting on other threads that your battery life sucks.... it doesnt give a clear view of actual battery life for a non f'd battery. i takes a lot to undo those bad comments

Senior Member dimmakherbs is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by buchee View Post
    happy1, I don't think it is a good idea to frequently discharge your battery to 0%. I don't own an adam yet but what ive been told is it is a 3 cell lithium-ion battery...someone correct me if i am wrong.....If one of the cells becomes discharged below 2.4 volts you stand a greater chance of damaging the cells and not being able to put a full charge back into the cell. The more this happens the more unbalanced the cells become and over a short period of time your battery doesnt hold a charge. Do a google search "should i fully discharge my laptop lithium ion battery"....lots of info.....good luck on your battery woes
    This is the proper way to 'cycle' or 'condition' your battery. You charge fully and let go till it turns off, then you charge to full with the device OFF. This is a cycle, and this is what people are saying if anyone complaining of battery has done this or not?

Senior Member dimmakherbs is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 17ronin View Post
    Does anyone have an idea which type of battery the Adam uses? As it is round it looks to me like a NiMh or NiCd? Isn't the norm for mobile devices nowadays Li-ion or Li-poly which are more flat looking and last longer and have less memory effect?
    Don't know much about batteries if someone could enlighten me?
    Im pretty sure it takes 3 'C' batteries.

Junior Member 17ronin is on a distinguished road
    As far as I know NiCd and NiMh batteries must be cycled (discharge to 0% and then charge to 100%) to gain maximum potential, Li-poly / Li-ion must also be charged a few times but never fully discharged becasue that damages the battery.
    Li-poly devices allways come pre-charged because the battery must allways hava a charge.

Senior Member linuxbz is on a distinguished road linuxbz's Avatar

Senior Member BrewerBob is on a distinguished road
    Folks downloaded battery booster from majjj.com, I know its soft ware but how accurate is it in it readings...

The update seems to have given more life to it (at least the power management seems to think it does) but I cant see it lasting days on standby... from zero I charged the battery to full about 6 hours and have left it on stand by over night in the 8 hours it have dropped to 60% charged.... if this were to follow through it would only give 24 hours on standby, which is slightly more than the expected usage time of 16hrs.

Also in battery booster a full charge read 12.6V going to run it out to see what voltage it turns itself off....

Member rburns007 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
    The update did not fix the battery. I lose 22% every hour. Basic surfing, some app dowloading, some setting up. Wifi on, airplane on, sync off, cell off, brightness 80%. At this rate i will get about 4:45. I have the pq model.
    Getting similar results. No way I'm getting more than 8hrs. I'm fully charged & fully drained my unit 3 times. Disappointing. Only wifi enabled, 50% brightness, single app launched (browser).

Senior Member Nishit is on a distinguished road
    I have heard that USB flash drives drain batteries very fast because they don't let the standby function work properly, as they need to be accessed very frequently for keeping them 'alive'. I don't know if it also applies to microSD cards (doesn't affect mobile phone battery life).

Junior Member Sleepingeye is on a distinguished road
    80% screen brightness? You try doing that on *ANY* device and you'll be lucky to get 50% rated life. Go ahead, try it with *ANY* laptop, tablet, cellphone, etc. You will *NEVER* get close to the rated battery life at 80% brightness, I guarantee.

If I use my Nexus One at minimum brightness gaming and such, I get 4-5 hours of straight usage. If I use my Nexus One at maximum brightness, I flatline the battery in 2 hours (if that).

You have to remember that *ALL* specifications anywhere ALWAYS give you BEST CASE. 10 hours of video playback means means wifi off, bluetooth off, gps off, media on internal storage, minimum brightness, etc. The instant you start using Wifi / BT / etc (ESPECIALLY if something requires transmitting over a radio), it hurts battery life a *LOT*.

My Adam's at the shipping depot atm and I have to pick it up now, but if it's like any other Android device, go look at the Battery Usage meter (on my Nexus One, Home > Menu Key > About Phone > Battery Usage, dunno equivalent on Adam) in the settings menu. It should tell you what sucked up power, and if at all possible, how to help fix it.
    Last edited by Sleepingeye; March-03-2011 at 12:18 AM. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread