+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: UI and Design Director Leaves Notion Ink

Senior Member MATrickett is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jhankg View Post
    With Honeycomb, all these skins from manufacturers are no longer needed. Please NI, give us vanilla Honeycomb!
    I think that you might want to address your pleas to NotionInkHacks. I may be getting the wrong end of the stick or just misremembering a bit of information--so please check their General Notion Ink forum for more information (no drama, though! )--but I feel like there was an indication there that they were slightly closer to Honeycomb on Adam than we might have otherwise guessed.

Nope, no need. The thread is here and the first post by zerofeel.
    Adam: PixelQi LCD, Wifi + 3G (Ordered Feb-9, 2011; Delivered Mar-30, 2011)
    ROM: Beast 2.1.3
    Apps: Too many. I love Market and Amazon...
    Screen Protector: Oh how I love thee...

Junior Member ice5nake is on a distinguished road ice5nake's Avatar
    Honeycomb +1. Eden is not good. The red launcher bar is OK, but I think I just want Honeycomb.

Rohan needs to make an executive decision and can Eden IMO.

Why don't they have a direct relationship with Google? Andre should have been cultivating that.

Junior Member Ordzo is on a distinguished road
    Eden UI - good
    Honecomb UI - sucks

in concept level

Senior Member MATrickett is on a distinguished road
    I think that it's going to be interesting to see what NI does with their Honeycomb port. I like to imagine that the creativity that produced the Adam hardware and some of the basic concepts of the Eden UI might do well with a better OS. Of course, it might also enhance battery life since I'm not liking what I'm seeing with regards to a <8 hour battery life at the moment. (Too early to say anything at the moment but... "Khan!" )
    Adam: PixelQi LCD, Wifi + 3G (Ordered Feb-9, 2011; Delivered Mar-30, 2011)
    ROM: Beast 2.1.3
    Apps: Too many. I love Market and Amazon...
    Screen Protector: Oh how I love thee...

Eden is slow and unresponsive. Android does several things faster on my 1 ghz, single core, Verizon Incredible. Please, let's be realistic and rational. Eden has serious problems in terms of both performance and usability. Simple things like when the red launcher bar is up and I press the back button it does nothing! So frustrating.

I'd also like to mention the problem where the notification bar covers things up it's not suppose to. This needs fixed ASAP, it's total kludge.

I am also experiencing a problem where I copy files from my Windows machine via a USB connection and the files just don't show up on the Adam. They just are not in the folder. I've looked via Astro and via Sniffer. I reconnect it to my Windows machine and the files are there.

I'd be surprised if the Xoom which uses Honeycomb has this problem.

Senior Member shantiom is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ice5nake View Post
    I am also experiencing a problem where I copy files from my Windows machine via a USB connection and the files just don't show up on the Adam. They just are not in the folder. I've looked via Astro and via Sniffer. I reconnect it to my Windows machine and the files are there.
    I had the same problem and my PC runs linux. The file didn't show up on the Adam but later day, I saw the file on the Adam. I thought I was loosing my mind, but it was Adam not I.
    Pixel Qi + Wifi

Quote Originally Posted by shantiom View Post
    I had the same problem and my PC runs linux. The file didn't show up on the Adam but later day, I saw the file on the Adam. I thought I was loosing my mind, but it was Adam not I.
    I heard that if you reboot the file may show up.

I've also had problems with the Adam randomly shutting off.

An advice to Notion Ink.

Drop Eden = Save money for UI Design/Development

Notion Ink Adam's selling point is the hardware design and the price. Many will be happy if the stock android is provided. This is a lesson learned. For Honeycomb, you don't need to beautify the UI. It's beautiful already. If ever you thought if beautifying things, make sure that you don't affect the performance.

I love my Adam without the Eden (except for Mail'd). This is just an advice to the team. Thank you.

I like the fact that NI is making apps. @richard76rama, I agree though Eden is a big waste. The only program I use is Mail'd and I think I will just switch to the Gmail app if Majjj.com has it. The fact that when I hold the home button I get a panel selection application versus the typical Android app switch is annoying the hell out of me. Is there anyway to change this?

I say I like the fact they are making apps because the calendar looks nice. It's completely useless to me because I couldn't figure out how to sync it to Google Calendar.

Senior Member jag216 is on a distinguished road
    I feel like much of what we are seeing is placeholder material for where things will go when Honeycomb is introduced. The entire panel structure feels like a modified version of the active task menu on honeycomb, which also opens up when you longpress what is it, the home screen? the menu? I don't remember. But in any case instead of listing all the apps along the bottom with active ones outlined, they could easily expand that to allow for panel control as well as process control.

The app drawer they have started on doesn't look too different from the Honeycomb app drawer, aside from not being in alphabetical order! :-D I think it is neat that when you open the app drawer it shows an outline around the processes that are already open. I definitely get the sense of where NI is going with the design - the only question I have is how the panel component is going to integrate with the hologram rotating desktop functionality. I actually wouldn't mind having the panel option as a sortof fold up workspace I can bring up from the bottom if I want to do something really quickly while working on an actual full-on application. For example, if I am working on a paper in Office, I'd like to be able to two-finger gesture up and bring up the panels if one could be the general, one could be search the web, one could be my IM, and maybe scroll over to see music. Two-finger gesture down to bring them back down and attack the main paper.
    PQi Wifi/3G (850/1900 MHz)
    Stock Eden 1.5

+ Reply to Thread