+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: You think Adam pre-order was bad? FLASH: iPhone 4 pre-order is a total disaster!

You think Adam pre-order was bad? FLASH: iPhone 4 pre-order is a total disaster!

Apple iPhone 4 Pre-Ordering Is a Total Disaster
    NOTE: THIS IS OLD NEWS, I JUST POSTED IT TO SHOW NI IS NOT THE ONLY ONES WHO THESE KIND OF THINGS HAPPEN TO

The iPhone 4's first pre-ordering day has been a total disaster. AT&T's online system has collapsed, there are account security breaches, Apple's online upgrades are down, and stores are now using pen and paper to process sales.

Major update: Exclusive: iPhone 4 order security breach exposes private information.

The photo of the line above was taken in NYC, but it has been happening all over the country. It is not even to pick up the phone itself, but to pre-order it. People are giving their credit card information to be put on a list to have a place in another line on June 24, when the iPhone 4 actually goes on sale.

The reason for the long lines, however, is AT&T's ordering system. Readers in the comments are reporting that the systems are collapsed everywhere. Here's what our own Kyle VanHemert had to endure this morning:

They're just using some web interface, not the exact same customers are using online, but not much better. It's probably the same servers. Basically, they were getting one pre-order thru every 20 minutes. They said the problem was system wide. Here's how it worked: They just kept mashing on the 'submit' button and getting error after error. On the umpteenth try, it'd go through and then the next step, whatever that was, would get error after error. After a long time, it would finally go through. What's worse is that the first step of the process reups your 2 year contract, so you can't walk away if you get fed up. I had to stick around until it went through, or i'd have a new contract but no subsidized phone.

Update 1: Apple's processing system seems to be collapsed too. The reason: The iPhone upgrades depend on AT&T account server.

Update 2: Some readers are reporting security breaches while trying to access their accounts online. At least two people have ended inside other people's accounts:

Update 3: Reader Bryan Tipton says that AT&T has taken down its system completely, presumably to avoid the security errors and the frustrating experience.

Update 4: Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse, reader Jonathan Alvarez reports that AT&T stores are not processing orders right now, just taking credit cards and phone numbers.

Update 5: Apple's online store is also collapsing. This morning a reader reported that the whole shop—not only for iPhone—was "crapping out." Numerous readers are reporting that the iPhone pre-order process is still collapsed:

Update 6: People are reporting success at Best Buy stores. Apparently, they are not using AT&T live servers, but their own ordering system even if you are upgrading an existing account. Most probably they will use a batch process later in the day, to run all order through AT&T servers. Not a bad idea when you need to deal with massive transactions.

Update 7: Horror tales keep coming in. A reader reports a purchase process that took almost three hours, and how the AT&T store started to imprint credit card slips and processing orders "on pen and paper."

Update 8: The Apple pick-up reservation seems to be screwed for some readers too, like Mateen Alinaghi:

Update 9: Other readers are reporting entire AT&T stores closing down because of this:

Update 10: A reader is reporting that, after the system said the order was successful, he received an email from AT&T saying the order was cancelled because of an error:

Subject: Fwd: Your att.com order 6805923333 has been canceled
    Date: June 15, 2010 1:05:52 PM EDT
    To: Jesus Diaz

Here's a good one for you to print. Thought my order was all taken care of from earlier in the day (around 10:40 AM EST), turns out I was wrong...

————— Forwarded message —————
    Date: Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    Subject: Your att.com order 6805923333 has been canceled
    To: jasonku80@gmail.com

Dear JASON KIRKPATRICK,

Thank you for choosing AT&T.

Unfortunately, we were either unable to verify the information you provided or you have exceeded the number of lines of service that we allow customers to purchase online. As a result, your order has been canceled.

If you would like to purchase additional lines of service, please visit one of our AT&T retail locations and present your identification to our representatives. They will be happy to help you purchase new wireless devices, accessories, and service.

Go to att.com/storelocator to find a store near you.

We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to serving you.

Thank you.

AT&T

Update 11: It keeps getting worserer. Because of the system errors, now a reader is reporting that he has been charged $300 three times, got a new 2-year contract, and he's getting no new iPhone 4, according to an AT&T automated error mail:

Subject: iphone charged 3x, no phone and new 2 year contract....wtf
    Date: June 15, 2010 1:08:29 PM EDT

Jesus,

I tried pre-ordering from the att site this morning about 5:50 am cst. I ordered 3 times because the connection timed-out when submitted the payment. Assuming payment was not accepted. Now my CC was billed $300 3 TIMES and According to the ATT site I cannot upgrade to an iphone or any phone till Feb 2nd of 2012.... wtf?

Update 12: Some readers are reporting success through the new iPhone Apple Store app, but the confirmation show that they are pre-ordering the $699 iPhone, not the upgrade-priced one. This problem seems to be caused by the lack of connection to the AT&T servers.

Update 13: Reader Adam Coleman is reporting that he had no problems ordering, but AT&T says his iPhone 4 is no backordered 2 to 3 weeks:

Update 14: Some readers are reporting success in ordering from Apple. At this time (3:33PM EDT) nobody in Gizmodo can access the AT&T eligibility page.

Update 15: Major update: Exclusive: iPhone 4 order security breach exposes private information.

Update 16: Some readers, like Ashley Conne, are reporting problems ordering the iPhone 4 with the new Apple Store App.

Update 17: Several readers are still sending emails detailing different horror stories and error messages on AT&T website.
    Update 18: Readers are writing in to say that the iPhone is now backordered.

Subject: http://gizmodo.com/5563909/apple-iph...total-disaster
    Date: June 15, 2010 5:03:58 PM EDT

Dear Gizmodo,

Placed my pre-order for my 32gb iPhone this morning through AT&T's Website. I checked the order status after i found out about all the problems and it is listed as backordered. Not sure if it is listed this on purpose because it is a pre-order or if it will actually be on backorder on the 24th.

Thanks,
    Henry Bernstein

Update 19: The problems are not only AT&T and Apple's. Some readers are reporting horror stories at Radio Shack. Apparently, orders are not going through, so you better check twice if you have used them to order your iPhone 4.

Subject: http://gizmodo.com/5563909/apple-iph...total-disaster
    Date: June 15, 2010 3:54:28 PM EDT

Jesus,

Went to the local Radio Shack in Springfield, Virginia to try to take
    advantage of their $200 trade-in credit on existing iPhone 3GS's. I
    was about fifth in line, and as the clerk was completing the
    transaction, she suddenly realized that not only did my order fail to
    go through, it had failed on all of the other customers in front on
    my, who where now long gone, but who where under the impression that
    they had successfully pre-ordered.

Chaos ensued, with phone calls to corporate, reports of "sold out"
    iPhones, and a bunch of angry customers. The clerk finally wrote down
    all my information on a slip of paper and promised to enter it later
    and call me to confirm. Still awaiting that phone call.

Jason Sewell

Update 20: Several readers are reporting that Apple is no longer giving a price on the reserve confirmation email. Now it just says the model number. This has probably been a change make the process independent from AT&T's troubled computers

Update 21: At this point, the whole pre-order process seems to be completely up in the air: Orders that have not been truly processed, reservations that actually don't reserve anything, and the last one: Reservations with no names. That's what reader Justin Ng tells us:

Subject: Re: Finally pre-ordered iphone 4
    Date: June 15, 2010 5:04:45 PM EDT

Two friends successfully did it with the "add a new line" on the website, but he pointed out that it didn't ask for his name. Apparently you don't even need a name? How are they going to pick up their pre-ordered phones if Apple doesn't know who they are?

Knowing the interest in every new Apple iPhone, and knowing that there are millions of people eligible for this—admittedly very attractive upgrade—how could this be? How could AT&T not expect this kind of massive load on their servers? Perhaps they used the same prediction software they use to plan their cellular network.

jesus@gizmodo.com.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

source; Gizmodo
    Last edited by whatsinaname; February-01-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Senior Member brigs is on a distinguished road
    NI has all the making of being next apple then. They are on the right track

Senior Member saied is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by brigs View Post
    NI has all the making of being next apple then. They are on the right track
    lol true true. i think we forgot about the whole iphone 4 signal strength. to this day apple denies that there was a major flaw in their design of iphone 4.

Senior Member number01pup is on a distinguished road number01pup's Avatar
    GREAT post!!! id almost forgotten about that fiaco. I like how it seems excusable for the Iphone to have this kind of trouble. But when people get behind the Adam and show there support by sticking it out they call use crazy. At least we didnt stand in a line to write down all our credit card info(on paper) so you can come back and pay for the stupid Iphone another day.

Good post... Here in Melbourne, Australia. People that pre-ordered an iPhone 4 waited in line from 5pm thru midnight up until 6 in the morning. Most that waited in line had to be turned away because there was a delay and not all iPhones had been delivered to the shop. It was mayhem when people that were waiting in line for 8 hours found out they weren't getting an iPhone 4
    Last edited by tmax; February-02-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Senior Member mjm2950 is on a distinguished road
    Verizon in the US will start pre-orders for the iphone 4 tomorrow (Thursdat) and start selling (delivering?) them on Feb 10th. It is currently -12 degrees Fahrenheit in Denver, should I go start a line outside a Verizon store?
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    Ordered Date: 19:25:31 December 10, 2010 # NIO3504xxx - Pixel Qi WiFi + 3G, shipping January 9th; 22nd; 29th, now February 14th; Received February 22 Sandisk 32gb class 4 card; pre-ordered a PadPivot

Senior Member eviltuna is an unknown quantity at this point
    You guys are comparing the iPhone 4 pre-order which had like a few hundred thousand - a few million pre-orders to the Adam which had like maybe 500 pre-orders? I'm sure if Apple only had to deliver 500 units, even 5000 units they wouldn't have a problem, except for the rabid apple fanboys killing each other to get an iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by eviltuna View Post
    You guys are comparing the iPhone 4 pre-order which had like a few hundred thousand - a few million pre-orders to the Adam which had like maybe 500 pre-orders? I'm sure if Apple only had to deliver 500 units, even 5000 units they wouldn't have a problem, except for the rabid apple fanboys killing each other to get an iphone.
    First people were saying hey, there's no way pros (like Apple) would have effed-up things like NI has, now its like, hey, we should cut Apple some slack coz they are a huge corporation? Come on!

Senior Member eviltuna is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsinaname View Post
    First people were saying hey, there's no way pros (like Apple) would have effed-up things like NI has, now its like, hey, we should cut Apple some slack coz they are a huge corporation? Come on!
    They sure as hell didn't fugded up like NI. With 4 delays, and non-stop lies. The and people are by the way, the pre-orders are done at AT&T stores, and Radio Shack, which I would say has more to do with AT&T and Radio Shack then Apple, did apple fail to deliver iphones 4 times on it's release date?

Senior Member Arbusto is on a distinguished road Arbusto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsinaname View Post
    No. That's completely false. People have admitted that big companies do mess up. But they don't mess up as often and to the extent that NI has and when they do, they're resolved quickly because these companies have PR and customer service. Except antennagate. That lasted a while, and lookit that, people lambasted Apple about it the whole time. And then Apple issued everyone a case.

+ Reply to Thread