PDA

View Full Version : 3G variant mystery

ghatothkach
December-14-2010, 01:13 PM
hi

The 3G variants 850, 900 are still a mystery... Does not affect "static" users, but very valuable to mobile travelers.

Any information on these ?

will 2100-UMTS be supported on both variants ?

Ghat

buddhafrog
December-14-2010, 01:30 PM
seconded. It's not clear in Korea what is used - I'm told it's neither 850 or 900 - but without speaking Korean I'm sort of lost. I'll need this in Korea though, so....

Anyone smarter than me?

BrewerBob
December-14-2010, 01:56 PM
seconded. It's not clear in Korea what is used - I'm told it's neither 850 or 900 - but without speaking Korean I'm sort of lost. I'll need this in Korea though, so....

Anyone smarter than me?

Korea is mainly on 3G so your carriers their are most likely running voice and internet over the same service.

BrewerBob
December-14-2010, 02:00 PM
hi

The 3G variants 850, 900 are still a mystery... Does not affect "static" users, but very valuable to mobile travelers.

Any information on these ?

will 2100-UMTS be supported on both variants ?

Ghat

as long as it supports all the 3G freq. the you should be good to roam anywhere there is a 3G network, most of the world at the moment. the 850 and 900 freq. are mainly for voice transmission most 3G networks are on 1900MHz US (depending on carrier) and 2100MHz rest of the world. but we are still waiting to see what type of chip has been used on adam...

SandstormGT
December-14-2010, 03:28 PM
but we are still waiting to see what type of chip has been used on adam...

Which I think is absolutely ridiculous, as this is one of the key selling points for me and a lot of people. But hey, who am I? I didn't get a chance to pre-order nor would I if I had the chance, so I am sure the info will be out before I even have a chance to purchase, so this doesn't so much affect me as it affects everyone that pre-ordered.

fbrutsch
December-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Isn't this map useful? http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

mads
December-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Korea and Japan dont typically use the frequencies we want making all the phones unusable. I had a stopover also once in Incheon and none of the phones we had worked. I dont know if its a frequency issue or if they use a totally different technology, but these 2 countries have some problem

ghatothkach
December-14-2010, 05:11 PM

Looks like, for my interest/travel areas
AT&T USA 3G => 850/1900
T-mobile USA 3G => 1700/2100 AWS
UK, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore => 2100
India 3G => uplink 1900/downlink 2100

most of the phones have 2100 supported, so looks like if it can work with
ATT then it will work in other areas also....

tmobile-USA is a odd man out doing 1700/AWS, I really doubt if they will have a separate model which will work with t-mobile.. really eager to see what spec they
have for 3G support.

G

mada
December-14-2010, 05:25 PM
I too was hoping to bring the adam with me on my travels for email, photo editing, etc and avoid a clunkier netbook. This band issue is a bit of a bummer and NI just gave me the standard shipping address answer in their email

davidc
December-14-2010, 08:32 PM
I bought a Nokia 3120 Classic cell phone while in Indonesia. It is a Quad-band phone, so it can do voice and data (regular GPRS and 3G) in both SE Asia and the US. It works fine on the T-Mobile system in the US and Telkomsel in Indonesia. I believe it also works in Europe, and might also work just fine in Korea and Japan.

My point: a quad-band system is a simple solution that makes the device universal. This is clearly the best approach -- it satisfies everyone and eliminates the need to maintain multiple configurations for various markets. The cost increase for a Quad-band over a single band is minimal (on phones), so I imagine the simplification to fabrication and stocking would eliminate or significantly reduce the cost difference for the Adam as well.

It was my hope that the Adam would be universal.

kawaji
December-15-2010, 12:46 AM
According to a person who had requested Notin Ink Pre-order Support for changing his order to Wifi only model since this 3G variant mystery, the NI has replied that the 850 also supports 800/1900 freq. and the 900 supports 900/2100.

After hearing that, I asked the NI if I could change my order from PQ with wifi only to PQ 3G model.
But my request was simply not approved because PQ variants already sold out. :-P

BrewerBob
December-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Korea and Japan dont typically use the frequencies we want making all the phones unusable. I had a stopover also once in Incheon and none of the phones we had worked. I dont know if its a frequency issue or if they use a totally different technology, but these 2 countries have some problem

Both of these countries are ahead of the rest, they both use 3G only for all their network services.... and are currently trialling/implementing 4G, Korea is also trialling super fast wifi, and hoping to make it available everywhere to free up its 3G network.

BrewerBob
December-15-2010, 01:06 AM
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=123453

explains a bit about the various networks for travellers.

Keep in mind 4G is being trialled in a lot of countries.

BrewerBob
December-15-2010, 01:13 AM

For those looking at Japan and Korea, scroll to the bottom of the map, there is more info

buddhafrog
December-15-2010, 01:53 AM
For those looking at Japan and Korea, scroll to the bottom of the map, there is more info

well, I admit to being uniformed about most tech. And while I consider myself pretty bright, I can't make heads or tails of this. What is the useful info - I don't see it.

Based of this map, which I've seen for a week and have looked over a few times, can you tell me which 3g I should buy if I live in Korea - 850 or 900? I went to a shop today and asked and they had no idea what the hell I was talking about. They called their customer service headquarters and also had no idea... geez, I'm lost.

BrewerBob
December-15-2010, 02:08 AM
well, I admit to being uniformed about most tech. And while I consider myself pretty bright, I can't make heads or tails of this. What is the useful info - I don't see it.

Based of this map, which I've seen for a week and have looked over a few times, can you tell me which 3g I should buy if I live in Korea - 850 or 900? I went to a shop today and asked and they had no idea what the hell I was talking about. They called their customer service headquarters and also had no idea... geez, I'm lost.

NI have provided a lack of info but given the two Varients they mentioned, the 900 3G should work on on for you network, but to note Korea has skipped the GSM freq. (900 part) the 3G freq. in the EU and Japan and Korea is 2100MHz. Japan currently has a 4G network as well.

If it were me In Japan and Korea I would buy the wifi only model and connect via a dongle or mobile hotspot (mifi). that way as the network upgrades you can be sure of being able to get internet connection on any network.

buddhafrog
December-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Thanks BrewerBob.

JonEP
December-19-2010, 05:03 PM
So, could someone help me out? I'm in the US, and ordered the 3G variety. Does anyone know what bands that is likely to support? I have Tmobile service and would love to be able to use Tmobile with the adam. If anyone can point to info from NI about this, I'd be grateful.

Rambler358
December-19-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm in the US, and ordered the 3G variety. Does anyone know what bands that is likely to support? I have Tmobile service and would love to be able to use Tmobile with the adam.
The Adam 3G version for the U.S. has the 850 band and can be used with AT&T or T-Mobile.