PDA

View Full Version : A sad realization to us all

jakery
December-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Being a long, long time follower of NI, i will be the first to defend the adam on blogs, articles and the whatnot, but if you tell me notion ink has not got an adam lying around, and a camera and tripod, then we should not be buying this. This is hard for me to say, as have been following the blog for almost a year, but seriously, not even a shitty video of an adam.

Has anyone seen a production state adam in use before? NO, not even a damn photo. I now find it funny how caught up I was in the hype of it all. We were promised so much, but slowly slowly, weekend special after weekend special, mysterious riddle after mysterious riddle, confusing code after confusing code... we... were...!!!!!!...shown.....!!!!!!!!!!!!....nothing!

If notion ink had of just promised less, and given more, they would have:

bigger fan base
much more trust
Trust from the popular blogs (which creates more fans)
more willingness to pre-order (because we know {or have an idea} of what we are paying for)

I remember being really excited when i saw the video of the weather app, and i wonder how much publicity they would have if they had of gone that step further, plucked out an adam, and taken a recording of it, with the apps that it comes with. You could do it in 5 minutes, hell i could do it in 5 minutes. It's like Notion ink's advertising is its fans. Quite disappointing.

And still after what NI has gone through, they don't have anything, not a photo, video, nothing, not even just to put on the pre-order page.

Having said all this i do have hope for Rohan and NI and the adam, and i will happily buy it when it comes out, but only as long as there is some demonstration.
My tolerance is wearing thin.

Rohan... all we want is a video

From a *slightly* depressed Jake/Jakery

Swann
December-10-2010, 06:23 AM
I have a feeling that the software still has a lots of glitches, and they desperatly want to have introduced/tested through something like slashgear or similar (and therefor they keep the lid on until it's fixed).

This I think is a big flaw in thinking, today it's easy to update a product, people generally do buy products even when they have mayor software flaws, because they know it can be (and will be) fixed...

Sure the investors can also have some weird ideas about it this which prohibits the presentation, and yes, also here flawed thinking...

Puetz
December-10-2010, 06:33 AM
They got no FCC confirmation yet and maybe thats why they dont have the finished product yet. They never said they had :)
Lets just wait until CES and see if they deliver what they promised. If so I will buy the product

jakery
December-10-2010, 06:42 AM
so with no FCC confirmation, why are they blabbering on about pre-orders? wait till it is approved then post a video then open pre-orders

Swann
December-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Many products are (have been) tested and reviewed before FCC, as beta/alpha products, so I don't really think that is the big deal... no it must rather be some other strange reason for the way they are behaving...

jakery
December-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Many products are (have been) tested and reviewed before FCC, as beta/alpha products, so I don't really think that is the big deal... no it must rather be some other strange reason for the way they are behaving...

completely agree, they pride themselves on being transparent, but when it comes down to the crunch, they are as much of a brick as apple.

brennanyama
December-10-2010, 07:03 AM
It is illegal to post pictures or vidoes of an item during the preorder stage that is different from what the consumer will eventually receive. Because the Adam is still subject to change, NI cannot release photos or videos of the adam until they have a final version ready. That is the reason for the lack of photos or videos.

From there, if you want to hate on the fact that Rohan is doing his best to usher the process along and begin preorders as soon as possible so that he can get the get the adam into comsumer hands as early as he can.......well fine. Just realize me and the rest of the composed adam population will have their adam for a month before yours even ships out of China.

rwniel
December-10-2010, 07:14 AM
That view is a little simplistic surely? Usually something is labelled as a preview or preproduction version knowing that it could be a little rough around the edges depending on how close to launch it is and in the case of say a digital camera it is specifically mentioned that any output should be viewed as samples only and the final image quality might change. I think if you are buying something you do have a right to at least a complete specification like knowing what storage it comes with. I'm not expecting a complete tear-down of every minute detail but I would like to see more than a render before ordering. We've been promised information like an interactive power chart but these haven't materialised. So I think we do have the right to be a little sceptical. :) Don't get me wrong, I WANT Notion Ink to succeed but consumers have been burnt before with the likes of Always Innovating and the Smartbook. So I've decided to wait, given the full amount is being taken in advance rather than just prior to shipping.

Robert

Knoc
December-10-2010, 07:49 AM
After this fiasco, Notion In will have to make a hell of a CES presence. (even more so the build up to that)

adama
December-10-2010, 07:52 AM
It's not illegal at all. I doubt the law even understands the concept of "Pre-order".

There are many laws regarding false advertising, and items being unfit for purpose, though, but none of them really explain why there are no videos.

The real reason (as has been posted by NI themselves), is that they want the first real views to be at CES, rather than have the unveiling in blogs and reviews, have it at CES.

They've since said there'll be a video in a week's time, on the 17th.

adam.

graybo
December-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Rohan... all we want is a video
Actually, all we wanted was a complete specification (European and UK law both require a complete description of goods being offered for sale - so no "hidden bonus secret features"). We also wanted clear and transparent T&Cs (which we did not get at first, and when they did come appear to be in breach of EU/UK consumer legislation).
I've been busy promoting Adam to my friends. I was very keen to get one and would happily order and wait a month to get it. But now I'm not so sure.
Notion Ink will have to work hard to recover from this mess.

graybo
December-10-2010, 08:21 AM
It is illegal to post pictures or vidoes of an item during the preorder stage that is different from what the consumer will eventually receive.
If that were true, then why have we seen so many images of Adam, including early versions which have been changed over time?
No, the truth is that Notion Ink does not have a marketing team. It is made up of enthusiastic visionaries, but a decent marketing team would have anticipated some of these issues and been ready with a detailed spec, product tour video and compliant T&Cs, all ready to go on the day that pre-orders were launched.

Arbusto
December-10-2010, 08:35 AM
If that were true, then why have we seen so many images of Adam, including early versions which have been changed over time?
No, the truth is that Notion Ink does not have a marketing team. It is made up of enthusiastic visionaries, but a decent marketing team would have anticipated some of these issues and been ready with a detailed spec, product tour video and compliant T&Cs, all ready to go on the day that pre-orders were launched.

Because they labeled those as prototypes and such. They did not say "this is what you are buying" (very paraphrased).