PDA

View Full Version : Seeing is Believing

Ride
December-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Show us.

Who else wants to see an Adam in action before ordering? We have been show great screen-shots of applications and interfaces, and have been given detailed information on the architecture of Eden, and a darkened video or two of a pilot production Adam playing a movie trailer. However, nothing that shows us Adam and Eden in action.

No doubt, some of Eden is still being finalised and it has already been said that the pilot production units had over printing on the glass that makes the bezel too wide. That being the case I still need to see Adam and Eden operating prior to purchase.

Please upload a video of Adam and Eden. You'd have to clearly state it is a pilot production unit and the planned differences in appearance (bezel) between pilot and release. Then demo all things Eden that are final. The rest can be left for CES 2011.

I had a really bad experience pre-ordering the DR1000 from Irex Technologies when it launched. They had similar hype and following. The product delivered was a far cry from what was advertised in both features and ability. They never could get it to the level they originally advertised. Within a year or so they filed for bankruptcy. If Adam and Eden are all it is said they are then let us see them in operation.

Show us.

Ride

dalinian
December-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Seconded, and well said, Ride - I've subscribed to Rohan's channel at YouTube, and I'll need a good video demo of Eden on a production ADAM, plus the NI apps trailed in the NI Blog, to win back the all the trust lost during this week's píss-poor pre-order debacle.

Nephelim
December-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Agreed. A video would go a LONG way toward smoothing things over.

Sefton
December-09-2010, 07:28 PM
There must be at least one working model somewhere in the Notion Ink offices. Take some photos, shoot some video, ease people's mind that they are actually getting what we've been talking and reading and blogging about for all these many months.

It's really not too much to ask. Not by a long shot.

brennanyama
December-09-2010, 08:07 PM
I think a lot of the problem here is that Rohan cannot legally put out pictures of the adam during preorder.

It is not that I'm sticking up for Rohan (I personally believe he owes all of us an apology), but in this particular situation, I believe it is illegal to put of pictures of something in presale that is different from what the consumer will actually get. In short--the adam isn't done yet.

You can call it a good thing on Rohan's part for jumping the gun and doing what he can to get the adam out to us as quickly as possible, or you can lambaste him for the same reason. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't look like we're going to get any pictures or videos of an adam in action until they have a final prototype.

Nephelim
December-09-2010, 08:18 PM
they shouldn't be offering a pre-order without having the final prototype and frozen all changes.

buddhafrog
December-09-2010, 08:23 PM
I think a lot of the problem here is that Rohan cannot legally put out pictures of the adam during preorder.

It is not that I'm sticking up for Rohan (I personally believe he owes all of us an apology), but in this particular situation, I believe it is illegal to put of pictures of something in presale that is different from what the consumer will actually get. In short--the adam isn't done yet.

You can call it a good thing on Rohan's part for jumping the gun and doing what he can to get the adam out to us as quickly as possible, or you can lambaste him for the same reason. But, at the end of the day, it doesn't look like we're going to get any pictures or videos of an adam in action until they have a final prototype.

My gut feeling is that Rohan/NI boxed themselves into a corner. They've had too many delays over that past year. Fall passed with no pre-orders. The huge holiday season was passing. Soon, the many new tablets due out in early 2011 will be shown and the adam will suddenly look less revolutionary and will certainly not be the cheapest decent tablet on the market (might still be the best - reviews pending). I believe Rohan felt that he couldn't postpone any longer and went with the pre-order after so many promises and personal relationships being built on the blog.

The adam is not complete which is why we are not seeing completed images/videos/etc. But that IS A PROBLEM! It is a problem that the pre-orders are happening and this info (if correct - and if not correct, my worries double) is NOT communicated. It's pretty staggering how poorly this has been managed from a company that has managed pre-customer relations so well. This is troubling. Basically, we don't know far too much, and there has been an unsettling silence about this with an assumption that ordering with so little info is acceptable by NI. This is also troubling.

I feel NI really should have waited a week until pre-order and all the info was properly prepared, all web pages were completed and ready to be made available, and there were images/videos of the actual product or at least examination's why there were none.

But NI is clearly not ready. Whether they will be ready in two days or two months or longer in unknown. Whether a two month or longer wait will severely hurt them by directly competing with the early 2011 tablets is unknown, but it certainly puts me in the wait and see category.

We're pulling for you Rohan. But I at least will be waiting this one out.