PDA

View Full Version : Digitizer

Rijal
December-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Anyone understand what Rohan meant when he said this about the digitizer?

Digitizer: I couldnít resist commenting back with a simple smiley when someone asked this questions in the comments. I was waiting for this day! Adam comes with an Open Source implementation which converts it into a digitizer. You donít even need wires. You can use your Adam as a BIG touch screen for all your PCs, so you can draw, paint, sketch, click, select and do all you want! (Did I tell you since it has a screen as well, you can use it as your keyboard also). (Please note, technically Adamís way of using the screen as touch input for your computers does not make it fall into traditional digitizer domain, but itís rather an intelligent implementation and hack in to the system)

Wondering if this means that it functions as a digitizer for me to be able to take notes on the adam during meetings with a pen/stylus? Or does this mean you can only use more like a trackpad or digitizer only when linked wirelessly to a computer? Sounds more like the latter, which is slightly disappointing.

emil10001
December-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Wondering if this means that it functions as a digitizer for me to be able to take notes on the adam during meetings with a pen/stylus? Or does this mean you can only use more like a trackpad or digitizer only when linked wirelessly to a computer? Sounds more like the latter, which is slightly disappointing.

I am guessing the same thing, that it will allow you to use the capacitive input to drive your PC. I am really hoping that I'm wrong and that there is an actual digitizer in there, and that I'll be able to use my wacom pen with it. It's really difficult drawing with the capacitive input.

Trovatrice
December-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Needs some clarification... is it through bluetooth or wi-fi or usb IR?? (what ELSE does it need for it to work?) Might be useful for surfing using a big tv as a monitor, controlling speaker volume, etc. ... Certainly a useful feature! (might save me having to buy a another internet/tv box?)

We still have NO NEWS ABOUT THE TRACKPAD!!! :( If it's NOT there, just say so!! Please!

Dadino
December-09-2010, 08:53 AM
I use my Android phone as a trackpad for my pc since 2009. There are 2 or 3 wonderful app that do it in a matter of seconds!

Psiclops
December-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm with you on the writing. I want to be able to use a stylus with a small, regular-pen sized nib, not the huge "sausage" types that are out there for the iPad. Rohan didn't mention writing at all, which concerns me.

FE101
December-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi all,

What does Rohan mean when he talks about the digitizer. Will it be present or not? If not how can it have similar function?
In other words, will I be able to take notes (like the kno.com) on Adam?

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for my tech ignorance : )

Rijal
December-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Nobody seems to know. Here are some replies I got to a simliar question:

http://www.notionaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php/488-Digitizer

Rijal
December-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm actually starting to get turned off now by the lack of information out there for ADAM. Its one thing to tease before orders can be made, but to still be teasing when its time to plunk down cash is starting to make me suspicious; is it teasing or unfinalized specs? I've been waiting for the ADAM since Jan 2010 and singing its praises all along....

dochogan
December-09-2010, 12:00 PM
It means that you will be able to link the Adam to your PC, and use Adam as 1) a giant touchpad for your PC, and 2) a touch-keyboard for your PC. Don't get work up about Adam having a digitizer or not...it has one. It has a capacitive digitizer, the same as on your smartphone. What the digitzer discussion before were about was have ACTIVE, stylus required, prssure sunsitive digitizer layer.

FE101
December-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks Rijal, I will write on your post : )

ArmanB
December-09-2010, 12:55 PM
I will merge this thread with the other one.

Rijal
December-09-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm not really worked up over the active digitizer, I just couldn't make heads or tails of what Rohan was saying. I was hoping it would be there for the purpose of using a stylus/pen to take notes during a meeting. I'm confident that the android community will come up with a program that will allow me to write using a capacitive stylus instead, while being smart enough to reject my palm while writing.

What is beginning to concern me is that there seem to be a lot of unknown or unclear details still to be revealed, even though pre-ordering has started (kinda). My year of waiting might come in handy, as I'm not as certain at this moment that I will be purchasing an ADAM tonight. This morning when I awoke I was ready to buy 3 (me, my wife, and one for the family), now I'm feeling cautious.

sujith
December-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Digitizer sounds like a good feature to have. Especially for student like me. Taking nots gonna be a breeze.