PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions

KirkP
March-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Just got the beast today, had it for minutes...

Got a "free" gift with my PO2 order.
From an Android newb, interface seems somewhat intuitive, although I'm having a hard time with this keyboard.
Build quality seems to be better than I was expecting, not sure if that's good or bad.
It's smaller than i was expecting, whichis good.
Screen (LCD) seems to be fine. Its not super bright out of the box, but very good from what I can see.

Wife seems to think its cute... Its for her, so thats good. Go ahead and open up PO3 for me please!

Sent from my Adam tablet...

ptitom4
March-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks !
what was your gift ?

Victah
March-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Thank you,

KirkP
March-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Free gift is/was the universal power adapter.

It was in need of an update, thats taken care of right now. It is pretty responsive. If this is anything like the PO1or 1.5 then I don't know. It really seems to be a pretty impressive device. Will probably root her tonight ans really stretch her legs.

asanchez
March-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Im on my lcd wifi 3g now from getting in from work for a few hours and quite impressed. Not impressed at not having an adapter which was the free gift as how did they expect me to use it out of the box?! Those factory guys over in china need a geography lesson as London UK huyers need an adapter. Either way really really want to root but want to give it a day at least to ensure everything is working as it should be as was advised otherwise it voids the warranty, is that correct and can someone confirm that to be the case? The only thing at the moment is that when i ask it to format SD card it doesnt do it....hmmm
Anyway nice start at least and another thing i noticed was that no power in the Adam to begin with and had to plug it in immediately ...lets see how the next couple of days goes!

KirkP
March-14-2011, 05:37 PM
I had about 48% battery when I popped the box.

I just installed EdenX and it really seems even more responsive.

You didn't get an adapter? Hmmm wondering if i was a return, but the device looks like new. I'm happy. Once i get used to this keyboard things should be much better.

asanchez
March-14-2011, 05:45 PM
I had about 48% battery when I popped the box.

I just installed EdenX and it really seems even more responsive.

You didn't get an adapter? Hmmm wondering if i was a return, but the device looks like new. I'm happy. Once i get used to this keyboard things should be much better.

Yeah keyboard is killing me at the mo...how's the market then? Im looking to apply the beast ROM tomorrow

KirkP
March-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Just installed Angry Birds, so i don't have much to compare to...

Coming from an iPhone, Android takes a little getting used to... Going to test tethering, WiFi and Bluetooth soon, gotta get back to a few people in another thread...

asanchez
March-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Is push email available on stock mail'd?

rajendra
March-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Received my adam yesterday (14th Mar '11) as part of PO2.

Here are my first impressions:
Pros :
1) Excellent port offerings (2 USB, microSD, miniUSB, HDMI) all worked as expected.
2) Could side load Flash Player 10.2 (latest release for honeycomb although its a beta) with out rooting and it works. But browser keeps crashing as both (browser/flash) are too buggy (not rooted, stock OS with update)
3) Liked it on the first impressions (see cons on aspect ration of the screen size, sleekness).
4) Could hold comfortably for couple of hours with out strain on hands (Golden ratio/weight distribution).

Cons:
1) It's not sleek as any other tablet out.
2) Length, breadth aspect ratio is not good. Too long, very small breadth. In portrait you see too much of information length wise and breadth wise you see too little information.
3) Battery life just about 4hrs of continuous usage (iPhone gives much better). It got completely discharged, so will test over as batteries may perform better after couple of discharge cycles.
4) For reading books, the aspect ratio is not good. Portrait you see too much length wise, landscape you see too little information length wise. My take is not so good for reading books in either mode unless Honeycomb's book app which shows 2 pages suffices landscape mode.
5) Build quality on the rear doesn't seem good. Its soft on the rear side and you can feel the parts inside when holding. If you press slightly you can see the bubbles on the LCD.
6) Sides I can see that white strip over which the black rear cover is fixed is not proper. Can see bulged black cover at some places on the sides.
7) The Golden ratio gradient looks like a sudden elevation rather than a smooth elevation.
8) GPS doesn't still fix the satellites (with latest update)
9) LCD screen captures too many finger prints (still haven't put the adhesive matte screen, want to try as is for couple of days)
10) keyboard not comfortable (when you press the Fn key and try pressing the no.s the next button gets pressed. You should still press the key at the alphabet location rather than at the no. location)
11) Not usable at all if you don't side load apps. There is nothing you can do other than open browser
12) Didn't like Eden UI much, would probably prefer Honeycomb UI as is with NI's additional app support. Probably NI wasted too much time/money in customizing UI rather than spending time building more complete Apps. Best may be for them to offer themes than customizing Honeycomb UI as Eden. I don't think anyone would in the market would like to use Adam's API to build specific applications when there are not many tablet apps available from Google itself. Common sense goes here : Building apps for honeycomb would have more audience rather than building apps for adam (developers won't try to target smaller audience). my strong feeling would be build custom themes (L&F colors) and apps for honeycomb rather than wasting time customizing Eden. Every time Google provides an update, NI has to re-work for months before releasing the updated UI and fixing crashes. What they did for Android 2.2 is appreciable but not required for Honeycomb. Put your resources at the right place and don't deviate from standards and get struck in a infinite loop of fixing base UI (Eden for Honeycomb).
13) Touch screen (software related) is over/under responsive most of the times.
14 ) Force closes still a issue.
15) Connecting to HDTV through HDMI stills gives 1024x600 resolution (should have option to view at higher resolution)
16) After 30 min of booting adam (update+seeing features), I found there's nothing else I can do (felt that I have to root it immediately but wanted to test everything works fine). Luckily could side load Flash Player 10.2 (buggy) and access youtube (browser still buggy). Would probably like to use Chrome with the tabbed approach at the top.
17) Keeping iPad and Adam next to each other, people would probably prefer iPad (I don't want too :( ).

Can adam capture some of the xoom/iPad market in the next few months, not at all with adam 1?
Would I prefer adam or iPad : Adam
Reason: Excellent ports and love for open Android platform
Usability wise: prefer iPad (including the best apps availability)

Would I have bought adam, if had a chance to view it in store? Probably No - with its aspect ratio and buggy software (I don't like Apple's restrictions, so am a supporter of android and adam{been crazy diehard}).

These are my day 1 feelings. Things might probably change over the next few days as its too early to take a decision. Hoping that this purchase would be worthy.

Will keep updating with my thoughts over the next few weeks as the above comments may be too early

asanchez
March-15-2011, 01:24 PM
I was on the Adam lastnight for at least 3 hours constant and still had at least 50% , so i think it comes down to alot of things of what you are doing and processes running. I agree with some of your comments but not all and down to everyones preference but overall im happy....for the meantime :)

Popsiclestand
March-15-2011, 03:18 PM
I disagree about the aspect ratio for reading books. I find the Adam performs better in portrait mode. It feels like an actual paperback book I'm reading. Any wider I and would get the impression that I was reading something akin to a coffee table book -- which is how I feel when reading on the iPad. Additionally reading comics is a dream with the narrower screen.

Also I like that it's not as sleek as other tablets which I feel makes it easier to hold in hand. When I'm holding a tablet like the iPad with limted bezel and slick, sloped edges, I don't know where to put my hands without affecting the touchscreen. I always end up with it sitting in the palm of my hand which is awkward.

But I guess everyone has their own ergonomic preferences...

ddaypunk06
March-16-2011, 05:24 AM
I disagree about the aspect ratio for reading books. I find the Adam performs better in portrait mode. It feels like an actual paperback book I'm reading. Any wider I and would get the impression that I was reading something akin to a coffee table book -- which is how I feel when reading on the iPad. Additionally reading comics is a dream with the narrower screen.

Also I like that it's not as sleek as other tablets which I feel makes it easier to hold in hand. When I'm holding a tablet like the iPad with limted bezel and slick, sloped edges, I don't know where to put my hands without affecting the touchscreen. I always end up with it sitting in the palm of my hand which is awkward.

But I guess everyone has their own ergonomic preferences...

What are you using to read comics? Are they in PDF or do you have an app from the market that read them (.cbr's I think)?

rajendra
March-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Reading a PDF (haven't tried comics yet) seems like narrow at width and too much at length unless your books are A4 size. Again its a personal take. I would have loved if a 'cm' more width and a 'cm' lesser length would have made it perfect.
The viewing angles are horrible, I have to put my head almost front of the screen to see it under a close light (inside home).
I expected too much the way Rohan described (marketing) however the build quality is no where comparable to any tablets (well known). I kept my expectations really low but I would say I am okay for this tablet and $375 (LCD+ wifi) but if its at $499 I would prefer an iPad2.

The only aspect I like is the ports it provides (which is making me stay with it w/o return) and probably honeycomb update.

Popsiclestand
March-17-2011, 12:35 AM
What are you using to read comics? Are they in PDF or do you have an app from the market that read them (.cbr's I think)?

I use Android Comic Viewer and usually have my comics as cbr's or cbz's.

KirkP
March-17-2011, 04:26 AM
KO, it's been a few days...

Love it! But...

Out of the box, it's fairly buggy. I've since installed EdenX, ADW Launcher (Gingerbread Themed) Dolphin HD, SwiftKey, and a little bit more, and wow, it makes a difference in usability.

it's gotten rid of the cell standby, and battery life is pretty decent. I'd say, I'm getting 8-10 hours. Yesterday was moderate usage, with about an hour of GPS, just playing around with that. The built in God softwares leave a lot to be desired. I'm used to Navigon for the iPhone. It would be OK if I just wanted to know where I am, but directions are really my need.

DolphinHD is a nice browser. Haven't done much with add-ons, but will.

SwiftKey is much better than the provided keyboards, but it's sometimes irritating with the auto correction, but probably because of the iphone keyboard in used to.

Force closes are really few and far between.

The LCD viewing angle are bad in landscape, but great in portrait. It doesn't impact how I use it though. I think decisions were made on which should be better, and it works for me.

So, I don't think it's a failure by any means. But if you're looking for it to work out of the box, I think people should look elsewhere. This Android tab is currently geared towards advanced users, who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. I would get another one, but they need to fix their service in a big way before that happens.

LCD. + WiFi - Feb 9th ordered. MARCH 14TH ARRIVAL